Re: [Debconf-team] Information gathered for travel sponsorship

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:31:19AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Dienstag, 4. September 2012, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> > > no. We only count money (or directly valuable ressources, usually things)
> > > into account for sponsoring.
> > >
> > > (I guesstimate) Half of the orgateam is freelancing, listing them as
> > > sponsors is... pointless or even totally besides the point.
> > Not completely pointless - it encourages more companies to follow the
> > example of sending people on work time.
> >
> > Of course, if every company did that, and no company sends cash, there
> > would be a problem: maybe just give 50% discount on sponsorship
>
> ok, to be clearer: its not just pointless or besides the point, its outright
> harmful. (Starting with this discussion even...)
>
> To illustrate my point: do you think holgerlevsen.de should have been a gold
> sponsor for debconf12? Given my monetary contributions (I paid 2 flights) plus
> my time involvement (and my rates) I definitly contributed 20k€ value.
> (And there are quite some people like me... working hard and paying to be able
> to do so.)
>
> And I don't think this should qualify as sponsorship at all. It (the money)
> could have been sponsorship if I gave the flight money to the sponsorsteam
> (for them to decide how to spend it) and not have bought tickets for myself.

Agreed. Also, should we extend this argument for some sponsors like one in DC12
which provided (or tried to) some money for Central Americans only? Technically
speaking it limits the orga team autonomy as well.

Regards,

  .''`.  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz                         GPG  :      1024D/A504FECA
 : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
 `. `'   tiago at debian.org                          IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
   `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org