Re: [Debconf-team] Creating a debconf13 association

Hi

On Tue, 8 May 2012 11:27:58 -0500, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
> Hi Gaudenz,
>
> Gaudenz Steinlin dijo [Mon, May 07, 2012 at 11:30:35PM +0200]:
> > (...)
> > These are the main points that need changing or that are suboptimal for Debconf:
> > * No majority for the Debconf orgateam inside debian.ch (to have a
> >   do-ocracy where those that do the work have the power to decide)
> > * Not really possible to have Debconf global team members as members of
> >   debian.ch. At least we would have to stretch the membership rules for
> >   this.
>
> So far, global team members have not been made members of any of the
> national entities which have handled DebConf's legal presence.

I don't care too much about this point. But I'd prefer this over a
solution like we currently have it in the debian.ch bylaws that any
substantial expenses have to be approved by the DPL. It's doubtful if
such a clause in the bylaws is even enforcable under Swiss law.

I think it would be fair to also have some members of the global team in
the association. Because this will be the main body to decide about DC13
in any matter that includes legal or financial things in Switzerland.
But ultimately this is a decision the individuals concerned have to take
(if they want to become members or not) and there is no hurry right now.

> > * We would need a debian.ch AGM as soon as possible to decide that
> >   debian.ch wants to organize Debconf. The current bylaws don't grant
> >   the board the right to decide this on it's own. This is strictly
> >   speaking not a change to the bylaws but organizing an AGM is probably
> >   not much less work as creating a new association.
> > * If we want to get tax-exepmtion we need to add some paragraphs about
> >   the goals and what happens in case of closing debian.ch (money has to
> >   go to a similar organisation).
>
> Right. However, I think holding an AGM can be seen as a opportunity to
> get the tax-exemption paperwork done :)
>
> Anyway - I'm not opposing to the creation of a new entity. However,
> after creating it, you must also ensure it gets disbanded in due time
> (that is, when its object is fulfilled). I think it has costed us
> several years to close some of the conf-specific organizations we made
> in the past (Brazil, UK).

Yes we are aware of this. We intend to solve this by clearly specifing
the rules of to close the association again already now. So the process
should be easy and clearly defined.

Gaudenz
--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.