[Debconf-team] Questions for global team from UCA

Hello team,

At the last global team meeting we talked about exploring the possibility of using the UCA University for DebConf.

Yesterday, I had a meeting with the Technology Academic Advisor and the IT Department Chief of UCA, and both of them are very interested in a possible DebConf at UCA.

They asked me how DebConf/Debian can help the university.

During the global team meeting we talked about classes or workshops. Is it possible to put up a wiki with something like this http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf11/SkillsExchange ? So that volonteers can sign up and UCA can see what we can offer them?

They also mentioned a couple of other things:

1. They are considering migrating databases, apps and the teacher's laptops to free software. The local LUG at the U and the Debian Nicaragua community could help with some practical stuff, but they need someone with experience to give them some advice on how to implement such migration.

2. Books. The IT department need books for their library. The language doesn't matter, neither if they're physical or electronic books.

Overall they're very open on having DebConf at the UCA campus. We even talked about using the spaces 24/7 and that's doable.

Next step is getting back to them with the answers to their questions and meet the head of the department, before the meeting with the vice-dean.

Cheers,