Re: [Debconf-team] Question for DebConf13 bids: Costs

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM, Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does that include people with professional/corporate participation level?

No, so to reach a minimal budget, you could assume that you are not
involved in providing non-sponsored accommodation or food.

Professional registration has previously only been intended to cover
direct costs of accommodation and food; I don't have the numbers to
hand for how many attendees have paid the corporate fee recently, but
it's not a large enough number to make a noticeable difference to
approximate budget calculations.  Clearly we might be able to increase
the number paying the corporate fee if we explained that DebConf
needed the money, even if the corporate fee did *not* include food and
accommodation, but only registration for the conference.  Perhaps we
could also increase the professional registration fee somewhat to
raise more money[1],  but it would be problematic to do that after the
registration process had opened.

Moray

Footnote 1: It's not really sensible for the fee to cover only food
and accommodation -- each additional attendee imposes several costs
beyond that, but more significantly a normal conference's fee would
include a proportion of central costs such as venue and equipment
hire, materials, travel bursaries etc.