Re: [Debconf-team] another impediment to contract signing

On 11/27/2012 09:43 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
The fundraising team has been in discussions with the local canton about
receiving a subsidy or sponsorship

Sometimes Government agencies only give this type of money if they feel
there is a risk that the event will go to another region/city

*sometime*

To put this in perspective, RMLL received about 30% of their funding
from official sources in Geneva.  It is normal in the Swiss economy for
events to be subsidised, that is one reason why the prices are so high,
because the venues, etc all expect that we have money from the
government to spend.

No, it is not true. Usually the amount is small. I'm often in contact of a person who works for the event/conference support of Swiss tourism agency. The summary. maybe some towns and cantons give money, but it is not the rule.

And we are very outside the target for high sponsorship: We are a small conference, we don't have much people (professors, businessmen, etc.) who are willing to spend a lot more money in Switzerland. But also in such cases, the amount may be big, but the share will be small. Check the prices of academic and business conferences and you notice how cheap we are (thus uninteresting for public funds paid by tax-payers).

ciao
	cate