Re: [Debconf-team] Budget tradeoffs vs amount of fundraising

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 11:18:20PM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

> OK I did a bit more than basic math. I have commited my version of the
> budget to the SVN repository as budget-gaudenz.ods. I made those changes
> to darst budget:
> - I added one platinum sponsor as this is now confirmed (also commited
>   to budget-darst.ods)

Using our elastic sponsorship evaluations, this doesn't change the
overall message of what I've been saying...

> - I added 5'000 each for bar profits and bed upselling.

This is making up numbers based on hopes.  It would be nice, but
I'd rather not make income out of thin air due to a hope.  It doesn't
matter in the grand scheme of things, it is a very small amount of
money, and can be worked out later.  I think I could add a section of
"potential incomes" so we won't forget it...

> - I adjusted the number of professional attendees to 60. The total
>   amount of prof/corp fees is now similar to DC10.

See other emails.

> - Reduced the food costs by 0.8 as this is now agreed with Le Camp (see
>   contract proposal).

I already removed the day trip day, which gives 5/6th board = 83%.  If
le camp lets us do 80% of even that (66% board), it's not reasonable
to write in a reduced food cost unless there is actually a plan for
where those attendees will actually eat.  In all past years, I have
gone on full board and known that, *if* the people at the conference
manage it well, food will contribute to a surplus at the end.

> OTOH we currently after 1.5 weeks already have more than half of the
> total amount raised for DC12.

The first bit of money always comes in fast as the hand is held out
and sponsors which already know us place money into it...

- Richard