Re: [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship proposal

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 01:42:47PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Ana Guerrero dijo [Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 07:24:23PM +0200]:
> > * Forgetting about travel sponsorhip until March 1st

> > Some people was commenting in that thread and in IRC about dropping directly
> > the travel sponsorship for this year because it seems unlikely we'll have
> > money. Others argued providing travel sponsorship is very important because
> > if not some people won't never be able to go to debconf (I agree with this).

> > What about not considering travel sponsorship in the budget and in the
> > beginning of March, when we know better how much money we'll have we reconsider
> > it again?  It will still give people time to do travel arrangements if the
> > decision is taken soon.

> I agree with this (in fact, I might be one of those people talking
> about this on IRC). Some people do depend on it, but this will not be
> the first time we can only commit to provide travel sponsorship quite
> late in the process, if at all — We can mention (again, explicitly, as
> I said in my previous mail) that we will *try to* provide travel
> sponsorship, but we cannot yet count on it.

At the risk of repeating myself: we should not provide late travel
sponsorship, *at all*.  It's an inefficient use of funds.  If we can't
provide travel sponsorship in a timely manner, *don't* provide travel
sponsorship - save the money for next year when it will do more good.