Re: [Debconf-team] A better budget analysis

Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@soziologie.ch> writes:
> Also I expect us to fill the two big dorms only on the peak days. So
> most of the time the situation there will be better.

My problem with this scenario from the first moment was the question of
how we decide who should be selected for the "privilege" of sleeping in
the huge dorm.

It's been suggested that people pay for their exit visa.

Does that mean that most of the Orga team will be in there for the
duration (given that most/all are fully sponsored for accommodation)?
or are we going to try to assign some sort of monetary value to people's
volunteer contributions so they can bid against real money in the auction?

(Note: I think the latter is a _really_ bad idea -- the former might be
fun but will probably result in a few nervous breakdowns by the end ;-) )

I feel there is a significant danger that people will feel that whatever
process we come up with is deeply unfair, so we should think about how
we're going to do this well in advance (if only because some of the
solutions affect the accommodation density, as per Daniel's -33% suggestion)

It seems like a mistake to simply assume that we can fill that room for
a few nights without the 32 victims noticing that they have been given
the shitty end of the stick.

Also, saying we'll only fill it on peak days does assume that people
will be shifted in and out of that room, which is something we normally
try to avoid with the accommodation allocation (but _might_ be part of
the solution we're looking for, if we can ensure that any particular
person only spends a night or two in there it might be rather less of an
issue).

Cheers, Phil.