Re: [Debconf-team] reports from Le Camp "BSP", part 5: pics

On 30/10/12 23:53, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2012, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>> http://layer-acht.org/fotos/670_Switzerland_DC13-pre/20121027_027_Sm.jpg.61
>> .html
>> Seriously?
>> Are you actively trying to kill it, or why is that picin there? You can't
>> really plan that for accommodation?
>
> sigh - for me not taking more pictures of the nice spaces at Le Camp.
>
> Really, I have seen both places, Balmers and Le Camp, and the accomodation
> spaces are *much* nicer at Le Camp... I just didnt take much of the fancy
> pictures, cause when I arrived there I was still (and wrongly) thinking Le
> Camp was trying to act bad upon us, so while I was thinking "wow, this area is
> a *lot* nicer than the the Balmers Herberge" (ie common spaces, but also the
> actual beds + bed rooms) I didnt take pictures of that, as at that time I
> thought Le Camps people were <censored>.

I've always said that I never expected Balmer's to be cheaper - it is
just an alternative that gives more flexibility.

I could extend that statement: I never expected it to be significantly
more comfortable either, except for those who can pay.

That is the reality of life in Switzerland.

The focus of these emails has only been on the 32 bed dorm (so it should
not be generalised to the rest of Le Camp): and I believe I am the only
one who has given a constructive suggestion, namely, removing 8 (or
more) of the beds to create spaces between the beds.  So I think it is
wrong to suggest I am showing some kind of bias.  I think my suggestion
is fair to all sides (and also fair to those people who will have to
sleep in the room, the people everybody seems to be forgetting here when
they draw a line in the sand and make ultimatums like "Le Camp or not in
Switzerland")

> The tent village of Balmers has tents of 24qm with 5 (or 6) small bunk-beds,
> plus 4(?) showers for the whole 100 people camping there.

See my comment above - neither Le Camp or Interlaken is going to give
five star luxury in this price range.  However, we don't have to use the
tent village, it can just be seen as an `overflow' solution.

Interlaken also has a range of hotels for people willing to go beyond 25
CHF/night budget.  For about 40 CHF/night, you can go in the very new
looking hostel near the Interlaken Ost station.  Le Camp offers no such
choice for the people who reject the 32 bed dorm.

> That 32 people room at Le Camp is definitly not everybodys taste, and as such
> I dont think we should force people in there. But, doh, thats quite obvious if
> you ask me. (And eg Daniels comment that we need to fill it, before we can
> allow people to camp at Le Camp, does not reflect reality.)

It is reality, just a French version of it:

"Location éventuelle de tentes par DebConf 13. (Seulement si le nombre
de 300 personnes est dépassé) Nuites à incluire dans le decompte: CHF 10"

That's what the contract says.  Fill 300 beds before one tent is permitted

> As much as I'd love to do GourmetConf, can we please stop with RumorConf?

A photo is not a rumor