[Debconf-team] beds & camping (Was: reports from Le Camp "BSP", part 2: le venue & le contract)

Hi,

On 29/10/12 at 00:41 +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
>  * which is not so personal at all: what to do (exactly) when we reach >300
> people... because until then the "idea" was: big tents were lots of people
> sleep. (Which I think is basically a bad idea and not really camping nor
> nice...)
>
>  * so I've "became personal" and suggested that personally I'd like to sleep
> in a small tent and I think that it would work beautifully to have 20-30 2-3
> people tents distributed over the venue, each "attached" to a house (so its
> clear which toilets+shower to use) and that obviously I dont want a huge mess,
> garbage floating around etc and that likewise eg the Le Camp would be too
> crowded with 500 attendees or such. But 20-30 small tents, set up in some
> areas we would define (so that we keep some structure and free spaces) that
> would work very nicely and much better than 2-3 big tents and what he would
> think about this... :) He admitted that he doesnt like the camping idea at all
> (personally) but well, this indeed probably sense and sounds ok'ish.
>
>  * To be clear, off-meeting comment now: while I do personally think the above
> 20-30 smaller tents plan will work best, this is just a proposal from me atm.
> If you'd prefer big tents... we just need to make sure to setup the tents
> somehow/what "properly+nicely", whatever this means in detail. (There are lot
> of steep areas, but there is also flat spaces next to a forest etc...) - and
> there will also be a per person fee as there are still costs these persons
> will cause. (Though obviously less then beds.)
>  So there is still need for negotiations(!) - Now, when we finalize the
> contract but also when we do DebConf, we still need to respect their place (we
> didnt talk about nudity yet ;) and they will also need to arrange with a bunch
> of more or less strange geeks and their needs.

So, to summarize the situation:
- according to http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/LeCamp/Rooms, some
  rooms are supposed to have a rather large number of people sleep in.
- beds in some of those rooms are probably too close to each other
  compared to what people would normally expect (see
  http://layer-acht.org/fotos/670_Switzerland_DC13-pre/20121027_027_Sm.jpg.61.html).
  though it's not clear if only the 32-beds room is organized like
  that, or if it also affects other rooms.
- the draft contract says:
  "Location éventuelle de tentes par DebConf 13. (Seulement si le nombre
  de 300 personnes est dépassé) Nuites à incluire dans le decompte: CHF 10"
  which translates to:
  "Possible renting of tents (only if the number of people is higher
  than 300). Nights to include in the final bill: CHF 10"

Questions:
- Does the 300 figure include campers? i.e., could it be 250 people in
  beds + 50 people in tents? Or do we need to reach 300 people in bed to
  allow for campers?
- If not, could it be negociated down a bit? Currently there are 159 beds in
  room of >8 beds. If we filled only 2/3 of the beds in those rooms, it
  would probably turn them into more acceptable options, but then we can
  only fit 326 - 1/3*159 = 273 persons, which is < 300.
  Also, we are talking about mid-summer, and I don't expect that there
  will be air conditionning in the rooms. Sleeping in a 32-people room
  doesn't sound fun if outdoor temperatures are 30-35°C.
- How much camping space is there? According to the pictures and to
  Holger's mail, there are lots of steep areas. See
  http://layer-acht.org/fotos/670_Switzerland_DC13-pre/20121027_025_Sm.jpg.59.html
  http://images.gadmin.st.s3.amazonaws.com/n5469/images/detail/375054_le_camp_vaumarcus.jpg
- The contract talks about renting tents. What if we come with our
  own tents?

Thanks!

Lucas