Re: [Debconf-team] le camp budget...

On 28/10/12 21:27, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 28/10/12 at 16:03 +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>>
>> Hi Richard
>>
>> Thanks for your budget. Just two notes:
>>
>> - The minimum price is not per week but for the whole event. So we can
>>   use the nights we don't use during DebCamp for DebConf. This
>>   significantly reduces the costs.
>> - Our budget calculates with 34.- CHF per meal as Le Camp already agreed
>>   to that option. This means a cold buffet (not only sandwiches) for
>>   lunch.
>
> Isn't 34 CHF per meal *a lot*, esp. for a cold buffet? Or is there a
> typo somewhere? Even if it's per day and not per meal, that still sounds
> like expensive for buffet food.

Previously it has been described as a daily rate, with the implication
that DebConf pays all meals for a day even if a person only has 1 or 2
of the meals.

It would be interesting to see the actual per-meal rates separately.

> If we are renting the whole camp anyway, couldn't we use the spare beds
> to attract more non-sponsored attendees? Specifically, I was thinking of
> a "become a Debian contributor" track, with tutorials, presentations
> suitable for people not yet deeply involved in Debian, and mentoring
> sessions.  Given the central location of this year's Debconf, it's
> likely that many people would be interested.  We could then choose a
> price per day (accom + food) that would make it affordable by volunteer
> contributors, while still generating some revenue. And it would
> obviously be a very good thing for Debian to have such a training of new
> contributors.

I have previous raised such ideas about parallel events, outreach or
even some corporate events (which would help the budget)

However, the 30 bed dorm room may not attract people who are not already
comfortable as members of the Debian community.

> Overall, I think that a big and successful Debconf is very important for
> Debian, and Debconf in Le Camp sounds like the perfect plan to achieve
> that. If it's not possible to achieve that with a balanced budget, it's
> probably totally reasonable to use Debian funds.

I haven't seen any suggestion that Debian funds are available for
DebConf.  In fact, the idea of creating a debt for Debian has been
rejected several times.

If Debian was willing to contribute a subsidy to DebConf, then

a) it should be a fixed amount agreed by the whole Debian community,
rather than some `bailout' due to a budget crisis

b) the bid process should be re-opened, as alternate (and potentially
more competitive) bidders may appear if there was guaranteed Debian
funding for the event