Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf13 and DebConf14 checklist/fundraising

On 27/10/12 21:23, Moray Allan wrote:
> On 2012-10-27 11:29, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> It would be interesting to have feedback on this part of the checklist
>> from people who have more experience than myself.
>
> I've made some edits, including removing the "underwriters" part until
> after some discussion that suggests it is a realistic idea.

If we are going to get the `ideal' bid, then we need to have a vision of
what it looks like

For me, an element of financial stability is part of that vision - you
only have to look at the number of threads started this week about
budget cuts to see what could be avoided in future...

> It was noted a while ago that the checklist has grown too long and
> confusing for bid teams; before the next decision period we should sort
> it out a bit.  But just now, sorting out DC12 venue/budget/sponsorship
> is somewhat more urgent.

That may be true, a longer checklist may create more work for the bid
team: but it also qualifies that the bid teams are already warmed up and
prepared for things like fundraising from the moment they have a green
light.  I have not seen one comment this week suggesting that
fundraising should not start earlier - but to start fundraising earlier,
the plans have to be made earlier too: before the bid is chosen.

Some of this data would be particularly easy to supply for teams that
had already practiced raising funds for a mini-DebConf, etc.