[Debconf-team] DC13 cost reduction / additional income idea 1 - shortening

Hi

This is the first mail in the promised series about ideas to recude the
costs or to increase the income of DC13. I'll try to present all these
ideas as neutral as possible and post my personal opinion in a reply to
these messages.

*** Shortening DebCamp and/or DebConf ***

With each day we shorten the conference we will save the money spent for
all the sponsored accomodation and food and the costs of the venue
(Interlaken) or the minimum per day payment (Le Camp). Shortening the
conference to one week will reduce the costs by roughly 1/4 to 1/3.

Calculation example for 3 days DebCamp (200 attendees, Fri to Sun) plus
5 days of Debconf (300 attendees, Mon to Fri):

Le Camp: 131640.- instead of 171440 (3*4880 + 200*3*40 + 300*(22+40)*5 =
131640)
Interlaken: The savings are less as there is no minimum payment. It
heavily depends on the number of participants on the days we shorten.

On the income side shortening will have only little effect. We will
have to reduce the professional and coporate fees for DebCamp attendees
and the income from the bar sellings will be less. But both are far less
than what we save.

An lighter variant of this proposal for Le Camp would be to not rent the
whole camp but only the buildings we really need for the DebCamp week.
The prices for the individual buildings can be seen in their general
conditions [1]. A plan with the buildings [2] is also available.

For example renting only Beausite, Rotonde and the main building saves
3380 per day and has 62 beds. If we need more beds, Passerelle and Carré
would be available for 650.- and provide an additional 82 beds.

Gaudenz

[1] http://www.lecamp.ch/pdf/conditions.pdf
[2] http://www.lecamp.ch/visite.php?lang=
--