Re: [Debconf-team] more Swiss venues

On 08/10/12 23:37, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> I'm sure it's not necessary to repeat the back-up venues[1]
>
> However, as it feels like there is something of an impasse over the
> contract and budget, I thought I would see what else exists
>
> I found a few other links that serve to
> a) validate Le Camp's pricing
> b) offer alternatives (not necessarily cheaper, just different)
>
> Locarno: 200 beds, varying prices:
> http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/locarno/price-next-year
>  (very close to Italian border too)
>
> Zurich: 290 beds, varying prices:
> http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/hostels/zurich/price-next-year
>
> Both of those also give food prices, so it is possible to see that Le
> Camp's prices are comparable.

Another one that I found, they have
- 300 beds (across two properties) in Grindelwald
- 600 beds across various properties in Interlaken
    (and camping is allowed too)
- 160 beds (across two properties) in Luzern

http://www.verein-web.ch/docs/c2d04e65b7460530a5372791e1ddad36/SB_brochure_version3_012010.pdf

> One thing that comes to mind: these other venues could be used to create
> a hybrid solution, e.g.
> - 50-100 people in bunkers (cheapest)
> - 150-250 people in hostel (not so cheap, but just within budget perhaps)
> - 50 people in regular hotel (expensive, 200 CHF/night each)

and a further comment on finance: even if these are the same prices as
Le Camp, maybe they won't demand 60k CHF installments up front.  It
appears many of them are in busy locations where they would easily fill
any empty beds, so DebConf would not be taking 160k CHF risk