Re: [Debconf-team] Hotel Ticomo: Possible new venue/hotel for DebConf12

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Leandro,

Hi Andreas,

thanks for working hard on making DebCOnf a nice experience.

You're welcome. :)

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 12:19:02AM -0600, Leandro Gómez wrote:
> * Accessibility is a difficult, since the auditoriums are spread out all
> over the place and a lot the terrain requieres quite a lot of steps, but
> the owner of the hotel promised us to build the conditions so that the
> hotel will be completely accessible in July. We probably would have to work
> hand in hand together with them to assure a successfull work on this quite
> difficult task.

As an attendee of last years Accessibility BOF I think I understood that
this is a cruxial point.  I also admit I would not trust this kind of
"promises" - it's to easy for them to find excuses to not follow the
promise after we agreed to this hotel (seems to have been the same in
Banja Luka).

Yes. For us at the local team, accessibility is a high priority.

The local team had a meeting yesterday and we got the opportunity to visit the Ticomo Hotel and talk with the owner. I raised my concern about the accessibility issue because it's not going to be an easy (or cheap) solution. The main problem are the last 5-10 meters to the main auditorium. There is a very steep hill and building a ramp is going to be difficult, to say the least.

There are a lot more of accessibility issues; the whole place is full of stairs, natural obstacles and narrow paths, and I honestly don't know if we have the time, energy and money to fix this in time for DebConf12.

Kind regards

Cheers,
      Andreas.

--