Re: [Debconf-team] Debconf12 website design

On 12/17/2011 03:29 PM, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 12694 March 1977, Felix Delattre wrote:
>> we have news from the website team. First of all we have a design
>> proposal (http://i.imgur.com/4svVh.png) which should be discussed during
>> this week, so we can go on with implementing this soon. So, please leave
>> your feedback!
> Does look nice, not much to say to it right now, except that you maybe
> want to have Platinum/Gold sponsors in an own row above, and the rest of
> the sponsors below. That is, give them more importance.

OK. We will keep this in mind and try to find a nice way to give
platinum and gold sponsors a more prominent place in the design.

> Oh, and I hope for a CSS thats not limiting the amount of screenspace in
> use (width) to something small. :)

There is an endless discussion about fixed width and fluid width. Mostly
fluid width is associated with a more generic approach, which, in my
opinion is not correct, since resolutions differ much in these days
(with mobile phones and cheap big monitors). A fixed width helps to get
a nice looking design on different resolutions much more than fluid one.

> And while we now can expect to not see a single cow in Nicaragua, as all
> those ev1l aliens have stolen them, what do you want to tell us with
> that broken bus? And how large is that girl/guy in red in the middle? I
> feel small, somehow.

The design has a lot of small little details, some of them are geeky and
funny, others are related to Nicaragua and things that happen around
here. The idea is that there are things to discover, so you might not
understand (or find) all details now, but you will find some of them
when you are here (or reading books, etc). We think that it is nice to
have a design were you can discover things over time :-)

* I guess that the cow fall into the geek joke category :-)
* Broken buses are a common phenomena (see
http://nicafail.com/desturque/y-se-fue-al-manjol-p/ and
http://nicafail.com/desturque/pasa-a-cada-rato-pero-sigue-siendo-fai/ )
* The too big girl is called "gigantona" (giant woman) and is a cultural
heritage of a street performance which are the "gigantona" (a big white
skin girl with jewelery, representing the Spanish colonialists) and the
"enano cabezon" (big headed dwarf, representing the indigenous people,
that are small but clever). See
http://www.necat.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=65&lang=en

Within the next days we will share with you a little bit more polished
design proposal and we will see if we can find a nice solution for
platinum and gold sponsors.

Cheers,
Felix