Re: [Debconf-team] Talk submission: Difference between "Submission notes" / "Abstract" / "Description"

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 05:09:57PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Last year, i used "Description" as a long-form place to describe the
> talk in more detail.  Other people appear to have done the same.
>
> So while "Abstract" is usually a one (or two, at most) paragraph
> description, Description might include an entire talk outline.
>
> Having the Abstract makes it possible to prepare a reasonably-sized
> printed schedule that includes more than the title for each work (though
> i don't know if anyone really needs such a schedule).
>
> Given that the full Description is probably not viewed by most people,
> the main advantage of it is that people can use it to give the talks
> team a clearer picture of the talk itself and the level of preparation
> of the submitter.

As a member of the talks team I had rather the impression that people
sometimes provides only a title-shaped "abstract" and no description at
all.  However, while I think your interpretation is correct we should
use a different wording for these sections.

s/Abstract/Short Abstract (for use in schedule)/
s/Description/Full Abstract (for talk team evaluation and proceedings)/

> This may or may not be useful enough to warrant keeping it around.

I did not said that it is not useful - it is just undocumented and
undocumented stuff is in most cases not useful.

Kind regards

    Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de