Re: [Debconf-team] Poster session

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 05:20:41PM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Continuing on the "poster session" idea, here is a way we could
> implement/track it.
>   http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/PosterSession

Here is an initial draft for DC11 attendee instructions (also pasted
inline after this message).

http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf11/PosterSession

As it says, it is not decided to do this yet.  This is just a draft to
discuss implementation.

- Richard

===============

DebConf11 invites sponsors and participants to present posters during
the DebConf poster session.

'''This is a draft, and it has not yet been decided to implement this
idea.'''

== Submitting a poster ==

Please follow the instructions under the Call for Papers (LINK) to
submit an intent to present a poster.  Submit your event as type
''Poster''.

The format of the poster session is still to be decided.  We will
decide on the format based on the submissions received, but will
probably involved a place to have posters visible throughout the week,
and a session for poster owners to stand by their posters for people
to come by and chat.

== Why? ==

Having written matter posted will allow a greater number of people to
know of your work than a single talk can provide.  It can provide an
introduction to your talk, an opportunity for follow-up, or

Some ideas include:
* Slides from talks.
* Schematics and descriptions of utilities or infrastructure - get
more users
* Information on teams and their working - help recruit members
* Future plans - to get feedback.
* Independent research performed by attendees

== Poster formats ==

A poster can be either individual or from a team.

A typical academic poster is a large printout on A0 (80x110cm) paper
conveying information about research. For examples, search "computer
science poster". This can require significant layout work, significant
printing cost (> 50 USD), and hassle in transportation.  ''This level
of detail is not required.''

You may use the "slides format", where one prints out a series of A4
sheets of paper with their ideas and posts them. This makes it easy to
turn any presentation into a poster.  This can be easily carried,
cheap to print, and can be done on-site.  Even just having slides from
your talk posted will help promote discussion about your talk and
learn what they have missed.

Creative people or teams could do a twist on the traditional format by
having attendees write feedback directly on the poster.  Very creative
teams could provide a mostly blank poster, and see if people work
together to flesh out ideas like a real-life wiki.