Re: [Debconf-team] Extra money we forgot we had

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 05:02:00AM -0500, Richard Darst wrote:
> How do you all imagine the DebConf/Debian money separation would work
> if accounts are merged?

The basic principle which is at stake here is that DebConf/Debian money
should *not* be separated.

There are two reasons for that: 1) sponsors donate money to DebConf
because it's the Debian conference; 2) in past years Debian has poured
into DebConf something like 70'000$ (very approximate number,
reconstructed by others in the past on this list), if you want a sharp
distinction, one might imagine Debian claiming back that money, which
would be very unpleasant for everybody.

Getting back to your question, I believe that DebConf should be an event
which, in an *amortized* way, costs no money. To cover up for the years
in which the costs are higher than raised money, Debian money should be
used as a "bank" for DebConf organization.

Keeping track of the cost year after year is up to the conference
budget, which already exists and should allow everybody (including
people outside Debian, for transparency) to see the income/outcome money
year after year. Considering all this, I fail to see why merging
accounts *at FFIS* makes thing any worse.

Cheers.