Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf discussion: Venue bid process

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> I believe you provided an excellent argument in your previous mail in
> favor of (b): people should feel they own a decision or, i.e.  that
> they'll have to live up with the consequences of their own choice.

I was hoping someone might have a good argument the other way. :)

> Delegating people just to take a decision and then leave them free to
> ignore the consequences of the decision (not that I think that they will
> do that, but at a responsibility level it is possible) doesn't sound
> right.

Yes, I can see some neatness in having a delegation for a clearer
task, and some advantage in then being able to more easily include
those who don't want to work on DebConf heavily over a long period,
but following the view above does seem to work elsewhere in Debian.

There's then still a question of whether there's a separate delegation
for each DebConf, or an ongoing one.  While I can see advantages in
separation there too, in practice a lot of the 'global' DebConf work
is mixed across years -- e.g. getting the report out for one DebConf
is useful mostly to the next -- so I'd again suspect a single
delegation makes more sense.

--
Moray