Re: [Debconf-team] DayTrip status?

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM, NVO DIVA <kontakt@diva.ba> wrote:
> DayTrip will be a

Please, rather than panicking and rushing to make decisions on behalf
of DebConf without agreement, tell us actual costs/facts.

We have a team, led by Richard Darst, which manages the budget for the
conference.  The most important thing is that you provide him with all
the cost information you have.  We have been asking for detailed
information on local costs since the start of the DebConf11 process.
Eventually we gave up asking, as we were told every time, "the
government sponsors these things, so it is not your problem".  But it
seems that you know e.g. the true rental cost of Banski Dvor, which no
one had told the DebConf budget team -- indeed, we had been led to
believe that the venue was provided free directly by the government.

As you know, we have been having regular meetings for a long time,
which have been weekly for the period leading up the conference.  We
have procedures for deciding and authorising arrangements.  We
understood that you were in contact with local members of the DebConf
team who have been attending the meetings, and were kept up-to-date by
them, but it now seems that this is not the case.  That is a problem,
but the solution is to make sure everyone has the same information and
works together, not for you to rush to override authorised decisions
outside the correct procedures.

Our understanding of the relationship between DIVA and Debian in
working together for DebConf was set out in the agreement which you
signed.  Excerpts:

• "Final authority and oversight for DebConf comes from the DebConf
global team <debconf-team@lists.debconf.org>, as authorized by the
Debian Project Leader <leader@debian.org>"

• "It is understood that these funds are owned by Debian, and held "in
trust" at DIVA. Money will be spent and DebConf contracts or
agreements signed only with the express consent of the DebConf global
team."

• "Upon request, a list of all transactions will be provided to the
DebConf accountant, Debian Auditor or Debian Project Leader. Full
records will be kept at all times and periodically handed over to the
DebConf accountant."

Making the budget balance is a job for the DebConf budget team, not
something that you should be worrying about directly.  DIVA needs to
provide full information on known/projected costs, then the correct
procedures followed to make decisions on spending.

For the day trip itself, please provide details of this "present from
city of Banja Luka": are they providing buses?  Also paying for the
lunch?  As it seems you do not know, the current plan agreed from the
team (subject to confirming costs and practical details) was for buses
to take people first to Krupa na Vrbasu to visit the monastery and
Greben ruins, before going for late lunch in the canyon overlooking
the rafting place.  Can the "present" incorporate this plan?  We need
to know the facts, then make a decision together.

Best wishes,

--
Moray Allan