Re: [Debconf-team] Early travel sponsorship

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 11:17:30PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> someone approached me today with the following thought / idea:
>>
>> "As your sponsorship meeting is a bit late, how about approving travel
>>  sponsorship for a selected set of people earlier? It seems a shame to
>>  wait until the meeting is done as the travel prices will go up in the
>>  meantime, so people who are obviously deserving could get it earlier."
>
> Here is some information from a budget perspective:
>
> - about 50k € pledged so far
> - Actual costs are very low since gov will pay most things (less than
>  k € so far we know about... ).
> - about 8k € received in bank accounts so far.
>
> From a budget perspective, I think it's feasible to allocate money
> early this year (and probably most years, too).  People have good
> arguments about why this should be done early.
>
> Money isn't paid out until after the conference, for the most part.
> In the past Debian has often provided the support needed to make
> travel allocations - basically "Spend money on travel sponsorship
> within reason, since getting people there is important".
>
> Regardless of the general case, I have confidence that allocating
> 10-20k EUR already is fine this year.  I can provide more detailed
> financial pictures if anyone would like.
>
> I think the biggest thing is that things keep going on inertia.  If
> someone new came in and created a plan, herded cats and spoke to
> budget people, we could make things happen early.  Phil, would you
> like to be travel sponsorship team leader next year?  I will provide
> all support needed to make it a success.

A proposal for future DebConfs, to both facilitate an earlier decision
round and/or generally lower the work required by the sponsorship
team. Could past approval for sponsorship in prior years be considered
for an early round? Maybe be having ratings that carry over from year
to year, could help lower the workload on the sponsorship team.
(Basically the point of this is to leverage the review work done in
previous years).