Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf11-localteam] [Debconf-discuss] Important news regarding travel to Banja Luka

Hi Philip,

I understand your concerns and agree with you completely. I don't know under what licence is that map published. I would presume its copyrighted material.

What I didn't understand and don't know if thats permitted by copyright, is point where i said we could use that Tourist map as guidance for editing OSM, manually. Example, if on that map some restaurant is marked, we could manually mark that same restaurant on OSM. Without using any images/scans on Debian servers, OSM... but using physical map.
That sounds OK to me regarding copyright laws, because copyright doesn't forbid you to apply and distribute knowledge gathered from copyrighted material.

Someone from localteam could get some info regarding Tourist map licence and even ask for permission to use it in such purposes. Or even better try to persuade owner of copyright to redistribute map under GPL.

Cheers,
Darjan Prtic

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 22:20, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
Hi Darjan,

On Wed, 25 May 2011 15:53:35 +0200, Darjan Prtic <dprtic@gmail.com> wrote:
>  @Dejan
> Great work. Looks really nice atm.
>
> @Philip Hands
> Localteam members from Banjaluka mentioned something about having map from
> local tourist office with much more details and markings. We could use those
> markings and update OSM based on that info. I wouldn't mind working few
> hours on that cuz that stays for later use by anyone, not just
> DebConf.

If that tourist map is copyrighted, please don't do that.

See: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FAQ#What_images_and_maps_may_I_use_to_make_maps_from.3F

Sorry to be a pain about this, but contaminating OSM with data from
copyrighted sources would be a shame, especially since Bing have been
decent enough to offer the right to trace from their hi-res Aerial
Imagery, which if combined with local knowledge should be at least as
good a data source as anything scanned, for the road layout at least.

If you think for some reason that it's not subject to restrictive
copyright conditions, or that we have permission to redistribute the
data under a license that's OK in OSM, would you please justify that
belief?

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. Using Debian servers to distribute scanned images of maps and other
tourist info seems likely to be problematic for the same reasons.
--
|-|  HANDS.COM Ltd.                    http://www.uk.debian.org/