[Debconf-team] on talk duration, the LCA model (45 + 15 mins)

Dear all,
  being currently at LCA 2011 for the first time in my life, I'm
naturally inclined to look for best practices that we might want to
adopt for DebConf.

Here is one: have talks slot of 45 minutes + 15 minutes of *break*
before the start of the next talk. I like this model more than the 1
hour model we have at DebConf for various reasons:

- time to move from one talk to the next, without the stress of missing
  a talk start if the previous one overflows, no matter room disposition
  (e.g.: whether they are physically near or not)

- 1 hour slots is actually too long: we often don't use all of it and,
  even if we do, the attention span of listeners is shorter than
  that. Additionally: we reduce the potential "damage" (in terms of
  conference time that could be user in more useful ways) of
  non-experienced speakers; while experienced speakers will be able to
  convey quite some content in a 45 minute time frame anyhow.

- 45 minutes is a reasonable time frame for either a relatively short
  talk of 30 minutes + 15 minutes for questions (which is quite a long
  time) or for a more intense talk of 40 minutes + 5 minutes for 2-3
  questions.

Just as a suggestion, do with it whatever you please.
Cheers.