Re: [Debconf-team] Poster session (was: Re: Sponsorship plans and prices)

Hi,

I wikified some of these ideas + my own thoughts here:
  http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/PosterSession

My thoughts are basically all on there.  As usual, feel free to edit
ideas directly on there,  or reply to this mail or irc.

A summary:

The primary goal is to promote interaction in two ways:

* Hanging posters in a common area, such as a hacklab, where
  people can browse the contents at their leisure. They can find the
  author and ask questions if they are interested.
* Having a "poster session", where all presenters stand by their
  posters and people walk around and talk to the authors.

The main question here is how many contributions we'd get.  However,
even a small number of contributions, from academics and paid
sponsors, it would be worth it because it wouldn't be very hard to
do.

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 06:11:50PM +0000, Philip Hands wrote:

> I wasn't really suggesting that we require a payment for the right.
>
> I was mostly wanting to make sure that at least one of the ways that we
> present the attendance fees allows academics to present the costs to the
> bean-counters at their institutions as though they were not optional.

Sounds good.

> You, being an academic, would know more about how much work it is, but
> would it not be a good idea to require that people presenting a poster
> at DebConf have done a similar amount of work as someone presenting at
> other conferences?  Presumably they'll be able to use the content on
> their project's wiki etc. so we'll probably be doing them a favour by
> encouraging them to generate good publicity/documentation material.

Perhaps... but at least for me, it can be quite a bit of work (there
are pictures of traditional posters linked from the wiki).  I would
personally be on the side of making it not-too-hard - see the "slide
format" idea there.  Really, it's up to whatever we can get people to
submit.

> Glad you like it -- I can put you in touch with the chap who came up
> with it if that helps.  It seems like something that should be driven by
> some academics, so that it can be tuned for maximum appeal to people
> that might then be able to contribute funds from their institutions, and
> also be allowed to attend in work time.

You can pass on the wiki page.  Right now it's tuned towards DebConf
attendees, but I think the format there would make academics plenty
happy.

- Richard