Re: [Debconf-team] Inviting certain people, Mitnick

> _If_ the Bosnian gov't wants to fly somebody in (given Holger's mail,
> I am basically sure it will not be Mitnick) and give a talk during
> DebianDay or something, it should be made with separate funds. I
> oppose using DebConf money for bringing in a Debian-unrelated keynote
> speaker.

Yea, Mitnick would be from separate funds, I'm not even sure they
would sponsor it, but I guess I could work on this idea if we all
agree it's "smart" to have him.

> We have enough keynote-speaker material in our group, if
> that's what you need... Or if you want to push for a politically
> recognizable figure, many people are active in Central Europe, much
> probably with easier conditions than the people you have suggested.
>
> Still, from a purely DebConf perspective, I'd much prefer not having
> to bring in externals.

It might be bit offtopic, but it's still related to this very topic.

I was in Vienna for last week or so, while there I also met up with
Gerfried Fuchs (Rhonda) and we talked about various things, and among
one of the topics was this one.

Company he works for is based on Debian, and is run on Debian. This
whole service is regarding health, so in Vienna whole health system is
run on this service. I think this is great and automatically invited
him for a talk, where his company would give some kind of
presentation.

http://www.chipkarte.at/portal27/portal/ecardportal/start/startWindow?action=2&p_menuid=51682&p_tabid=1

Why?

Because, I personally would like to see the *more* the possible of
these kind of services running on Debian, especially because govt. is
main financial sponsor, there's high interest for Linux, we just need
to widen their views and show them how it's used in "real life". So I
would like to see as much as it's possible of this kind of
presentations and lectures. Whether it's from health, education or
government itself.

This whole region has ~60 million users, and this kind of action could
open door big time for Debian.

Adnan