Re: [Debconf-team] Global team meeting notes, 2010.01.20

Hi Holger and Damyan,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 05:05:17PM +0200, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> Not sure what happens if we go beyond 400. Hostels?

Our agreement with Columbia will allow us to add additional beds later as
space permits. If there is insufficient space on-campus or people prefer to
stay somewhere other than a university residence hall, there are both
cheaper (hostel) and more expensive (hotel) options sufficiently nearby.
We're already planning for more group-lodging beds than we've filled for
either DebCamp or DebConf since at least 2007. (DebConf6 might have been
different because it was more of a remote location, but that's not true for
NYC of course.)

In any case, we're not planning to sponsor all 300 beds; attendees will pay
us for some of them as happens every year. We have looked closely at past
numbers.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:45:48PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> > dc10: penta hackability progress
> [cool details ommitted]
>
> great!
>
> does this codebase include the video changes from dc9?

As I understand it, yes it does include them, though I'm not informed enough
about the video controller to judge. Git and gitweb are publicly readable
for any interested video team members. :)

> On Donnerstag, 28. Januar 2010, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > DEBCONF10
> > Regarding talk selection, a call for papers announcement may go out
> > together with the registration announcement, but Richard Darst has made an
> > interesting suggestion regarding session chairs for creating cohesive
> > topic-based blocks of talks during the conference. This was sent to the
> > mailing list and resulted in some on-list discussion; it will also be
> > discussed at the next meeting.
>
> I dont understand how the session chairs idea blocks sending out the call for
> papers, maybe you made it just sound like it does? As I see it, session
> chairs can only be selected after talks have been submitted, and whether we
> do session chairs (I think we should) shouldnt affect talk submission at all.

Sorry if I wasn't clear; the session chairs idea does not block the cfp
announcement. I'm hoping to get both the registration and cfp announcements
sent out before the February 3rd meeting, leaving more time free to discuss
the session chairs idea during that meeting independently of opening cfp.

Thanks for your comments!

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org