Re: [Debconf-team] some words about fundraising (more numbers to come tomorrow)

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 02:14:55AM -0400, Pablo Duboue wrote:
> Before going down to business, a personal message from moi: in the
> last week there has been a number of IRC discussions about our current
> fundraising situation. Every now and again somebody will refer to
> myself as a "pessimist". I would like to ask for people to think twice
> before doing so. First, because it makes me *furious*. FURIOUS. I am

Hi everybody, sorry for the delay but I took a (long) week-end off.
I just wanted to add to this thread a big thank you to all of you.
It is fully understandable that, given the current financial situation,
the discussions can get a bit heated; if anything, it also proves how
much all of you care about getting the conference right.

So, that does not really help in getting more money :), but thank you
all and rest assured that your efforts are being appreciated *a lot*,
surely they are by me, and surely the will be appreciated by the
attendees of the conference, the day we will be there looking at all
this as something way back in the past.

Now, to some practical matters that concern me.

> * Zack has been active in fundraising for a few weeks now and he has
> some of the most exciting leads we have open at the moment.

Thanks for the appreciation, I wish I could have done more though.

However, please guys avoid that the above tensions let some important
leads slip into annoying cracks. For instance, we just got a BIG FAT
PING from the Nexenta guy which I pointed to you a week ago and about
which I've pinged repeatedly various people of the sponsorship team.

That is not good, as the guy said "we want to sponsor you" and nobody
replied to him. I *guess* he just needs details on what can be
translated as Nexenta willingness to enter at a "medium sponsorship
level". I furthermore *guess* that sending to him a table with the
levels of bronze / silver / gold / ... asking "which category are you
aiming at?"  would be more than enough.

ACTION: I will personally wait until 16:30 UTC today and then I will
reply to him just asking how much they are ready to sponsor. It would be
*much* better though if someone of the sponsorship team can reply to
him, as they are probably more used to do that than me.

> Thanks and sorry for the rant at the beginning, I really needed to
> take it out of my system :-S

Yeah, don't worry, I hope it has been useful (usually it does :-)).
Now let's everybody get back to work to produce an amazing debconf10 ;)

Cheers.