[Debconf-team] [reg/payment teams] Calculating attendee fees

Hi,

I'm working on increasing the accuracy of our attendee fee
calculations.  Jimmy had made
  http://rogue.kaplowitz.org/~jimmy/income-stream
previously which I wasn't totally sure about, so I went with the
literal meaning of the fields, and now am trying to make it more
accurate.

A lot of these things may have historical precedent that I don't know,
so it would be good to discuss this, so that everyone is on the same
page with registration and payment

Let's go category by category:

Unsponsored (basic, no food or accom):
- This always pays by day during DebConf. 53/night and 15/meal during
  DebConf
- Can these DebCampers ever have a free DebCamp stay if they have
  a workplan?  I'm assuming they can't.  What if they signed up before
  the deadline?
- for DebCamp, should they also pay actual costs, or should they pay
  the 650 even if they are just there for a few days?

Only sponsored food:
- Actual accommodation costs during DebConf
- Zero food costs during DebConf
- What about DebCamp ?  free with workplan, otherwise 650/(free
  food,accom by day) or other?

Only sponsored accommodations:
- Zero accommodation costs during DebConf
- Actual food costs during DebConf
- What about DebCamp ?  free with workplan, otherwise 650/(free
  food,accom by day) or other?

Fully sponsored:
- Zero accommodation costs during DebConf
- Zero food costs during DebConf
- With workplan, zero costs during DebCamp
- Without workplan, $650 for DebCamp.  What if it is a smaller number
  of days?

Corporate and Professional:
- $650/$1300 flat fees for DebConf, unlimited meals and nights.
- Jimmy's logic implies anything beyond DebConf week gets charged a
  full 650 or 1300 - even one or two days of DebCamp  Is this true
  irrespective of debcamp workplan?
- What if people want, say, sponsored DebCamp but a prof or corporate
  registration for invoicing purposes?

I have a feeling that once we say what the costs are, there will be a
lot of questions from attendees, and some "what?  I wasn't expecting
that" or even some blatant wrongness leading to not as much money as
we thought.

Last year, I took people's mails asking for invoices, turned them into
line items (I don't remember anything quite as complicated as it was
here - it was either sponsored, prof, corp, or no accommodations), and
all food was either included, or paid on-site.

Since it will be hard to bill attendees for food beforehand (they
won't know how many meals they will or won't want) I'll propose we
bill in advance for just accom, and then handle food payments on-site
again.  If you have another idea, please let me know.  This partly
depends on what we set up with the caterer, of course.

I propose a renewed effort to simplify our business logic...

- Richard