Re: [Debconf-team] Discussing our budgeting and sponsorship situation

Ana,

Thanks for your suggestion for helping to trim our budget.  We had
thought/planned on some of them, but some were new.  So that everyone
knows the current plans with respect to these:

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 02:24:10AM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:

> * No Sponsored DayTrip.  (Althought i am sure this one is already in line)
> Done before in Argentina (sponsored partially IIRC) and Edinburgh.

Even though we list 2k for the day trip, we hadn't decided to do that
yet (we'll have to pay that much for tickets before people get here,
but we could recapture it from attendees).  It would be 1000-2000 more
for transportation on the subway if we wanted to do that, in addition
to any other expenses once we got there.

> * Cutting in sponsored food, this can be done in several ways:
>   - Do not sponsor breakfast (we did this in México and worked well)

This was the plan as of now.  If we want some light
snacks/fruit/bagels or something in the morning (which would be nice),
that would be on top of what is listed.

>   - Do not sponsor food one day (daytrip)

A good idea, and probably would fit well since there will be many
options around Coney Island for people to go to themselves.

>   - No "formal dinner" (but I have not seen this in the budget)

Right - this wasn't included.  If we did want it, it would be extra.

>   - Only provide breakfast plus lunch and not sponsor dinner.

We hadn't discussed this in much depth, but perhaps people would enjoy
going out to the city to experience what all is here (which would be a
positive thing that many people may find a good trade-off).  However,
that would impact the evening hacktime people had, decreasing the
value of DebConf to our sponsors.

> * Ask people a small fee ($10 per day?). The huge problem with this one is
> getting people paying and controlling it is a lot of work.

That would indeed get us on the positive side of things, but we'd
probably want to limit it to people getting free food or
accommodations.

What do other people think about these ideas?

- Richard