[Debconf-team] TALKS: advocating broader relevance

Hi all,

At our recent talks team meeting we discussed the talks rating criteria
(Relevance, Actuality and Acceptance[0]), and issues that people had
with them. I brought up the 'relevance' rating criteria as something
that I had some issues with, and I promised at the meeting I would bring
it up to the list.

Personally, I think Debconf can both get a bit boring if the 'relevance'
is applied too strictly, and too de-focused if it is applied to
broadly. To make a great conference there should be a balance, and I
feel like right now it is being applied *very* strictly, and I'd like to
advocate that a broader interpretation be entertained.

I think it is good to have things like FTP-masters give a talk, but to
exclude things that aren't as closely connected to Debian as a
core-infrastructure team threatens to make Debconf too insular and
staid. Things that are Debian-related, such as those that are part of
the broader social context, *are* actually relevant and very interesting
to not only Debian Developers, but the non-Developer FLOSS fanatics who
will be coming to the conference.

The Free Software community is, if you ask me, *very* relevant to
Debian. For example, to cut out the FSF or the FLOSS track from Debconf,
when we should be taking advantage of the proximity of their great minds
and very close affinity to Debian, would be a great shame if it were
done because a very rigid interpretation of "relevance".

I am not advocating that the Debconf become a generalized FLOSS
conference, there are plenty of these. In fact, I do believe that
Debconf should mostly be Debian, but to ignore the fact that Debian is
part of a larger context fails to acknowledge our role in the broader
FLOSS world that we travel in, work in and support. I'm afraid we are
unnecessarily cutting off the rest of this world through the strict
application of the 'relevance' definition in the talks rating process.

I've been applying a broader interpretation of 'relevance' than I think
others have, and have been a little disheartened to see talks that are
not so intensely related (such as the FLOSS track) getting very negative
scores and comments about how unrelated to Debian they are. If the talks
are relevant, the person submitting them are reasonably well-known, then
it seems like a good idea to mix it up a little bit.

micah

0. This is how talks are being rated:

Talks are rated in three categories Each category has five levels, -100,
-50, 0, 50, 100. Larger numbers are better.

* Relevance - There can be great talks, but some are not appropriate for
  the main track at DebConf. The Relevance category is a measure of
  this.

* Actuality - speaker seems to know the topic and (as far as i know) is
  capable of presenting it

* Acceptance - How well will attendees like this talk and desire to
  attend?