Re: [Debconf-team] penta ranking calculation metrics

On Sat, 2010-05-22 at 18:41 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I'm concerned that the rating metric is wrong in penta when reviewers
> leave one of the three categories in a "don't know" state.
>
> for example, if i say "+" for all three categories (relevance,
> actuality, acceptance), the score will be 50. (50 + 50 + 50)/3
>
> if i say "+" for relevance and acceptance, but "0", the score shows 37.
>  This seems slightly wrong -- i'd have expected 33.  but meh, not a very
> big deal.
>
> A bigger deal is if i say "+" for relevance and acceptance, but leave
> actuality as unspecified (because i don't know anything about the
> presenter), the score also drops to 37.  I'd have expected it to stay at
> 50:  (50 + 50)/2
>
> In particular, i'm proposing that unspecified axes should be removed
> from both the numerator and the denominator, rather than just being
> treated as a 0 in the numerator.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  Am i misunderstanding something?

Yeah, I agree with your assessment.  It would definitely be better if
the ranking differentiated between the 'ambivalent' and 'not ranked'
cases.

I know there were a few I deliberately left unranked because I felt
others were likely to be better qualified than I for those cases.

Cheers,
					Andrew.
andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
 You will give someone a piece of your mind, which you can ill afford.