[Debconf-team] update about tracks

Hey folks--

At the local team meeting yesterday, we talked a bit about the idea of
grouping some of the debconf talks (and other events) into
thematically-focused tracks [0].   To follow through with this, we'll
need coordinators for every track we run.

Hans and i came up with the following 6 suggestions for tracks (they
don't all need to happen, and other suggestsions are welcome):

  Media and Arts and Debian
  Debian Enterprise (Integration with Other Systems)
  System Administration within the Debian Project
  Trends and Tools for Debian Packaging
  Math and Science and Debian
  Outreach (Debian Everywhere!)

I'm about to mail some potential track coordinators for each track to
see if they are interested in pulling something together.  I'm not
listing them here, because i haven't checked in with them yet and i
don't want to call anyone out.

If you have suggestions for other tracks, or for someone who would make
a good track coordinator (or if you want to coordinate a track
yourself), please let me or the list know.

The invitations/incitements that i'll be sending will be variants on the
following:

-----------------

Hi $potential,

Are you interested in seeing more discussion at debconf about $topic?
We were thinking you'd have a good perspective on $topic, and wanted
to know if you'd be interested in coordinating a track for debconf 10
this summer.

Tracks are a new idea for debconf as of DC10.  A track would
thematically group a consecutive set of debconf events (talks, panels,
etc) to encourage a better understanding of a broader theme.  For this
to work, we'd like a knowledgable person about a given theme to act as
a track coordinator.

A coordinator would have a chance to set the tone and scope for the
track, schedule events, assemble panels or debates, introduce
speakers, and report back at the end of debconf to the larger
gathering.  We also hope that a coordinator could identify potential
good work being done in their area, encourage people to submit
relevant events for debconf, and shepherd talks in their track through
the submission process.

Are you interested in coordinating a track on $topic?  Or do you have
a suggestion for someone else who might do a good job on it?  You can
reach me and other members of the talks team privately at
talks@debconf.org, or feel free to contact the whole debconf team
(publicly) at debconf-team@lists.debconf.org

   --dkg

Just wanted to report back to the whole debconf team on the progress on
this front.  If we get no takers for track coordinators before the talk
submission deadline (very soon!) we might consider abandoning the tracks
idea for this year :/

	--dkg

[0] http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/TalkGlossary