Re: [Debconf-team] Open Day talks

Bdale Garbee dijo [Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:46:40PM -0600]:
> DebianDay talks should be more 'planned' and/or 'structured' than the
> rest of Debconf needs to be.  For Debconf, it's completely ok for there
> to be talks on many different semi-random topics of interest to DDs
> sprinkled throughout the event.  But for DebianDay, we need to
> consciously address a broader audience with a more intentional message
> about Debian.

+1

> For example, last year I offered to kick off DebianDay with one of my
> "history and governance of the project" talks...  This was largely
> because I thought it was so unfortunate that in previous years we got
> part-way through the day and people were still asking basic "new to
> Debian" questions because we didn't give them any context about Debian
> before jumping in to fairly specialized talks!  I don't know how well
> this really worked, though?

I also agree on this — Although I expect we can stick to what we -at
least- intended to do this year: Make it less introductory, as we
might be spending too much time on the too basic stuff to really have
this as a useful day — And a day that might be interesting to DebConf
attendees as well! What would you say if, i.e., we had the DPL address
as the finishing talk of DebianDay? Yes, being the first day, some
DebConf people will miss it (as many people arrive on the second day),
but it is a good opportunity to have it targetted at the broadest
audience.

> (…)
> I personally think DebianDay is a great time for the program to be
> single-tracked, avoiding parallel sessions.  It would be good if at
> least some of the talks are in whatever the native language is, but
> talks of high quality from competent speakers may be more important for
> leaving a positive impression with local people new to Debian than
> native language?  I honestly don't know.

I also don't really like the idea of having parallel tracks on this
particular day. Possibly some English sessions can be translated? I
know we don't have the infrastructure to do simultaneous translation,
but interrupted translation might be the way to go. Yes, English
proficiency is lowish in Spain (at least, comparing to the rest of
Europe), and I would expect it to be even lower in the most rural,
poor regions, such as (I understand is) Extremadura.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23