Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf9-localteam] defining final dates for DebConf 9

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 13:33 +0100, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> Usually we had DebConf from Sunday to Saturday, minimizing the days people
> have to ask for vacation in their paid jobs [1] and the money spent in
> lodging/food. Both are very important points.

The last time we had this discussion I was aware of the holiday time
part but I hadn't noticed the sponsorship-period part.

At DebConf8 and DebConf7 we had arrive on Saturday, leave on Sunday,
which means paying for seven nights accommodation.  The proposed
schedule for DebConf9 is arrive on Wednesday, leave on Thursday, which
means paying for eight nights.  Accommodation is usually the largest
unavoidable cost to DebConf, so a 14% increase there is significant.
(There would also be more meals to pay for, of course.)

Of course, if the regional government will pay for the accommodation
then that's not a problem, but the last news seemed to be that that was
unlikely?

I also agree with Ana that I'd expect many people to only want to take
one week off work, and so to arrive on the middle Saturday/Sunday.
(Although the conference will finish earlier than usual, the end day is
pretty much the same in terms of the working week.)  The non-ideal dates
come from the availability of the venue, but we can still try to
minimise the impact by what we put on each day.

--
Moray