Re: [Debconf-team] Names for events (was: Re: Open Day talks)

Richard Darst dijo [Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:24:01PM -0400]:
> The primary advantages of being "official"/"featured"/"primary" are:
>
> - priority in scheduling (try to avoid conflicts)
> - counts more for travel sponsorship
> - (not this year) priority in videoing
> - more emphasis on being in the printed proceedings (and maybe in
>   printed schedules)
> - The idea that the talk is more directly related to the benefit of
>   Debian

Add to this some sort of a recommendation to people who are not so
involved on what the committee thinks has a better chance of being
interesting/useful/prepared.

> I'm not completely happy with any of the proposals (including mine).

Neither :-/ Possibly we should just do away with the levels for next
year? I do feel it is important to rate the proposals - be it for
sponsorship, be it for a bit of academic attitude, I don't know... We
have (and this year I was part of it - And it does carry some pride
for me!) an academic committee. But yes, it is a point we should
probably debate on...

On previous years, scheduling decisions were a bit stronger IIRC -
Official talks were guaranteed not to be scheduled simultaneously with
other official talks. This criteria was not followed this year (also
probably because we approved more talks as official?).

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244