[Debconf-team] Accessibility in DC9

Hi,

As pointed out in Debconf wikipage[0], accessibility is one of the 9 prioritary
items for picking a Debconf venue. Although I don't agree it should be the 9th
item on that list, lets take this page as a little "provocation" for this
email.

[0] http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/PriorityList

First, how is the accessibility status on DC9? The only information I could get
was from Joerg's blog[1].

[1] http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2008/11/28/ftpmaster-meeting-in-extremadu.html

Last DC we experienced some issues on this. As far as I know, it was a mix of
many things, which involved lack of communication, registration deadline
problems, delays on getting some local information etc. In order to not have
these kinds of problems in DC9, I would like to volunteer in this field this
year.

My proposal starts on penta. Like we have a "food" combobox (for regular, vegan
etc), we should have something similar for special needs*. For now I can cite
these ones (taken from wikipedia):

- special needs on mobility access
- special needs on hearing access
- special needs on sight access
- others

* I have no formal experience in this subject, so please be free to fix
any politically incorrect terms here, ok?

After having people registered, a group of volunteers, which can include mainly
local, but also remote helpers, would:

- agree to assist individually one or more attendee marked as needing help on
  penta
- ask them about their special needs
- interact with the local team / help them to get things done
- give feedback to the attendees (sending them pictures, measures etc)
- compile all this information in order to get a checklist for next DCs

Note that it's very important to give all the information as detailed as
possible for people with special needs. When people go to DC, as you know they
are usually far from their doctors in the case of emergencies, far from their
infrastructure, from their family etc. It's a pain when someone arrives and
realizes that s(he) will spend weeks in a place where (s)he will have
difficulty getting food, walking around, sleeping, hacking, going to the
bathroom, interacting with others and so on. That's why I believe we need a
small team dedicated to take care of these issues. It's very stressfull for the
"regular" local team people to be aware of all these details.

If there is no objection to this, I would ask someone that has worked on penta
to help me out. Also, I will try to organize the stuff in Debconf wiki and ask
for remote/local volunteers.

Regards,

--
Tiago Bortoletto Vaz