Re: [Debconf-team] Some thoughts: DebianDay

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:24, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

>> So, the proposals for next year's DebianDay:
>> 1) Do *NOT* do it at the end of DebConf.  This was a BIG mistake on
>> our side, we were too tired to do things properly, and it took away
>> one resting day for us.
>
> I'm not sure this holds as you wrote it. If the event is well planned,
> tiredness is not so much a factor. Also, I think DebianDay should be (mainly)
> organized by someone, who is not the main organizer of DebConf.

Full ACK on this. The problem is that it needs to be organised by
local people, and usually there's not enough local people to organise
two events. Also, I don't agree that doing it after DebConf was a
mistake, I do think that the holliday and the different venues were
two big mistakes, tho. If it would have happened in MDQ on Sunday, it
would have been much less effort, we would have had video and proper
network, and probably, much more DDs around.

The initial idea for DC8 was to merge the debianday with the JRSL, but
miscommunication and lateness on both sides to find a venue made it
like it was: two totally unconnected events, which is a pity.

--
Martín Ferrari