Re: [Debconf-team] Some thoughts: DebianDay

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 01:41:39PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
>DebianDay was introduced in 2005.  Ever since then, we've been
>struggling to make it happen.  This year, due to several factors, it
>ended up being a lot of effort and having about 100 participants.

[CC-ed some other people so they can contribute their comments]

LCA started the open day in Sydney last year and had another one this
year in Melbourne.

The LCA open days had attracted many, many people in those two cities.

http://linux.conf.au/
http://linux.org.au/

>So, the proposals for next year's DebianDay:
>
>1) Do *NOT* do it at the end of DebConf.  This was a BIG mistake on our
>side, we were too tired to do things properly, and it took away one
>resting day for us.

The LCA2008 open day was on the Saturday, after the Conference and it
was a huge success.

http://www.linux.org.au/2008/
http://www.linux.org.au/2008/programme/open-day.html

The LCA2007 open day was on a Wednesday, in the middle of the
conference and it was very succesfull.

Holger Levsen attended LCA2007.

On the LCA2007 open day, Bdale Garbee and Keith Packard had a table to
tell their stories about satellites, rockets and Debian on that day.

Andrew Mcmillan also had a table with products of his Debian based
business.

http://www.linux.org.au/conf/2007/
http://www.linux.org.au/conf/2007/OpenDay.html

>2) Do *NOT* do it at a different venue.  DebianDay was not recorded
>because it was too much effort to setup everything again there.
>
>3) Before deciding anything, think if it's really worth it.  We don' t
>seem to be able to attract the "Decision Makers" that we state that
>come to DebianDay.  Only Debian users, and not many of them.

Open days are _very_ important to show what is Debian to the general
community.

>3) If you are going to do it, someone has to be in charge of organizing
>it, getting the speakers to talk, and giving it a lot of press.  (We
>actually did get a lot of press for it, many newspapers did have
>something about it on their pages, however, we got very few attendees,
>so it was obviously not enough).

Pia Waugh organized the LCA2007 open day. She visits #debian-women and
attended DebConf in 2004.

I can contact the people that organized the LCA2008 here in Melbourne.

We can ask for advice from people that organized succesful open days
before. :)