[Debconf-team] Still possible to register for debconf?

Hi there.

This e-mail is a bit long, with lots of questions.

I was reading your debconf8 (http://debconf8.debconf.org) site and got under the impression that "everything is finished" and that there is no possibility for me to participate neither on the Debconf8 nor the Debian Day series of talks.

I would like to (still) submit a paper regarding doing a small, live, minimalist distribution done as joint work with a friend of mine (Alexandre Lymberopoulos) for "underpowered" computers which are quite common here in Brazil (where I live) and in Developing contries, as a general situation.

I unfortunately, due to health problems, could not do anything earlier before the 30th of July date (I couldn't even contribute to projects where I am upstream, like the lame compressor, which had a major release after more than two years, culminating in the 4th of July date, despite me having a good amount of CVS commits and discussions regarding that project after the 5th of July date).

I would love to hack with people that have sponsored my contributions (some packages) to Debian so far (like Gerfried Fuchs and Bdale Garbee---the latter who was even my advocate on the New Maintainer process) and get in touch to discuss things that I see to get an even better distribution.

BTW, what does it take to be a sponsor of the debconf, if they are still needed/wanted? I have some savings and I could be a Steel Sponsor or a supporter or, depending on whether I can get support from the institution where I am a Computer Science professor, be something more visible (that would be the "Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie", São Paulo campus).

Well, I feel that I could give some layman introductions/presentations (to Debian Day) like:

* "The Dissemination of Free Software in Brazilian Universities (and the Terrible Situation of being the Odd-Ball Guy Fighting Almost Alone the Non-Free Forces)";

* The use of non-x86 distributions (in particular, PowerPC distributions to people that still have PowerPC based Macs and will progressively left orphaned by Apple with each subsequent release; Apple has already dropped support for G3 and some G4 processors in Leopard (10.5) and they may even drop PowerPC support at all in the next release (10.6));

I have a G3 iBook where many things are convenient and I have streamlined a bit the cross-compilation of the kernel with a x86-64 machine;

* The use of Apple Darwin tools under Debian proper and the journey of patching to make things works and the beginning of packaging things for Debian.

Well, I can send my resumé, if that's needed. I can give talks for Debian Developers about Theoretical Computer Science subjects, but I don't know if they would be suitable for Debian Day, as these subjects could be somewhat technical in their essence.

Regards, Rogério Brito.