Re: [Debconf-team] Minutes from today's meeting

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 04:57:27PM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> Dealing with people that accepts sponsorship but then doesn't come:
>
> One point that has troubled us in the past is that some people sign up
> for sponsorship (travel, food and/or lodging) get it, and then don't
> show up.  If it's only for travel, then it's money back, if it's food
> or lodging, we need to arrange with the hotel in order to get that
> money back else we lose it.
> We would like to be able to prevent these situations as much as
> possible.  One of the ideas that came up is making people that sign up
> for sponsored stuff pay a small amount (~ 10 USD) through credit-card
> charge via SPI (can someone confirm this is possible?).  This way we
> can have more certainty that they are coming.  However, this would
> mean extra hassle for very little money.
> What do you think about it? Any other ideas?

I've only noticed this problem in Oaxtepec. A couple of beds were
empty most nights because the participants didn't want to come to
the conference from Sunday to Thursday. They only stayed at the
conference on Friday and Saturday. Five out of seven booked nights
their beds were not used. I'm not sure they attended the talks on
Friday and Saturday.

If people do things like that, I suggest to warn everybody in
advance and if they cause a financial loss their names and the
amount of the loss will made public, unless they pay back the
money.