Re: [Debconf-team] problem with the rooms in the BB

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 10:45:24PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the invoice of the BB, where they detail the beds we are paying for, they
> also detail the room where the bed is, so we have stuff like this:
>
> June 12 - June 24
> 12 Nights
> 5 Beds in a 12 Bed Dorm
>
> or
>
> June 15 - June 24
> 9 Nights
> 2 Beds in a 6 Bed Dorm
>

> We'll be sharing rooms with regular backpackers of the hostel. I do not think this
> is a good idea at all.
>
> They have assigned beds to us following premises like: 2 people from 12 june
> to 23 june, 3 people from 14 june to 19, etc. Where these premises are not
> real. This will make the room allocation really dificult because some people
> will have to change the room several times. Specially since BB is the only
> hostel we have during debcamp.
>
> Could we get assigned rooms instead of beds? (we got this from cowgate)
>
> Ana

Ok,

Rooms rather than beds were one of the requirements, but it got
forgotten in the shuffle. I'm sorry, I failed to communicate that well
enough to Jon and later Moray when planning the shuffle.  By my maths,
this effects about a third of people staying in the hostels. There are
three issues I'm hearing about from this:

1) Its a arse from a room allocation Point of View.

2) Its a security problem. While I had assumed that everyone was
thinking that hostels weren't secure anyway, which is what we decided
ages ago, its clearly more of a issue now.

3) The "people arriving on $foo and leaving on $bar" thing doesn't
match data. I looked at this when planning the shuffle, where we
cheated and just removed the cowgate booking from the total for each
night, rather than work with peoples' actual bookings. I can go back to
working on this, but the main problem is I have to work out a hostel
allocation which is good for this problem, but may not be ideal for
Ana's plans.

Thoughts:

First of all, are any beds missing?

Secondly: how bad is it from a bed allocation point of view? Are people
going to have to move hostels? Are they going to have to move bed? How
many people?

I'm kinda loath to ring up and talk to them again, considering its
non-trival. I'm guessing from a money PoV buying more beds when we
know we can't fill them isn't going to go down well. Ana, could you
mail me what differences you think there are?

I'm open for suggestions...

Sorry for this, It really shouldn't have happened.

Pete