[Debconf-team] Status Update for DebConf8

Hi!

Since I called for the meeting, I realized that it would be nice to
give you a status update on how things are looking for DebConf8.

Venue
-----

For a while we entertained the possibility of finding a suitable venue
in Buenos Aires.  But it's already obvious that we won't get what we
want in BA. So, we are sticking with what was proposed for the bid.
Hotel 13 de Julio [1], in Mar del Plata (MDQ).

The people at the hotel are very nice, and very accomodating to our needs.

[1]: http://www.hotel13dejuliomdq.com.ar/ (the site has been changed
lately, and it does not work well with Firefox, I'm already asking
them to fix this)

Internet
--------

The only drawback that we found in the last visit is that due to the
architecture of the building, we can't connect the sleeping-rooms to
the conference-rooms via LAN.  All the sleeping-rooms have Internet
through wireless.  It's an ADSL connection (currently 2M per 3 floors
of rooms, this can be taken to 5M), but it won't be connected to the
main connection (that goes to where the hacklabs will be).

However we think that this is a small problem.  During DC7 we didn't
even have internet at the sleeping quarters, so, having _SOME_
internet is always better than not having it.  You will be able to
chat and read email from your room, if you want to do something that
requires LAN, then you should be in the hacklab.

Regarding the main Internet connection, we haven't yet decided on the
ISP that we will hire.  We can use the hotel's connection as backup
(again: currently 2M for the conference-rooms, can be taken to 5M),
but we will obviously hire a bigger, more reliable connection.

The wireless coverage is quite good, in the conference area they have
some extra spots where additional APs can be installed in case it's
needed (with power and lan connection already there).

Dates
-----

We haven't yet settled on the dates.  It will be in August, that's for
sure, but which weeks in August is yet to decide.  We would like to
decide this in the IRC meeting of the 17th.

I created a wiki page [2] with the advantages and disadvantages of
each pair of weeks.

[2]: http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf8/Dates

Finances
--------

There are two groups that are willing to help us with this part.  A
foundation called "Fundación Vía Libre" and a cooperative, called
"GCoop".  Currently, Fundación Vía Libre is going to open up an
account for "the DebConf8 project", and we want to try to receive the
money that was left in UK as soon as possible, so that we can test how
long it takes to get any money in.

We will probably need to sign a "contract" or something like that
between Fundación Vía Libre and who ever is sending us the money from
the outside.

Budget
------

The economy in Argentina is not faring as well as we would like.
Prices for food and lodging are going up _in dollars_ (i.e, prices go
up, dollar stays put).  The amount is not yet so much that it would go
out of budget, but this is one of our main fears.

If both went up, then it wouldn't make such a difference budget wise,
but we have no real certainty as what is to happen in the near future.
 Our country is electing President by the end of next month.  Maybe
after that, we will have a more clear idea of the 2008 economy.

Unfortunately, the hotel can't freeze the prices for food or lodging
till after March 2008.  The prices for the conference rooms can be
freezed when we make a deposit (which will be: when we receive the
money from UK), but the conference rooms are not such a big part of
our budget this year.

Audio & Video
-------------

There is a knowledgeable group of people in MDQ that has equipment
that can be rented for  use during the conference.  We asked for a
budget, we are waiting for it.  This includes all types of equipment
that we might need: projectors, PAs, microfones, video cameras, mixing
consoles, etc.

These people work with most of the conferences that take place in the
hotel, and are thus quite reliable.

Also, for bringing equipment from outside Argentina, we are studying a
legal figure called "temporary importing", which allows you to bring
in expensive equipment and then send it back, without having to pay
any taxes.

Logo & Website
--------------

We have decided that the logo will be the one that won at the
DebianArt Contest [3].  We made some small changes over that logo,
Marcela has the final version (and she will send it to this list, any
day now).

The website is currently under construction.  We decided to go without
cms or the like.  It uses sever-side-includes for
headers/footers/menus, and editors will edit directly in html.

[3]: http://www.debianart.org/cchost/?ccm=/media/files/mlt/227

--
Besos,
Marga