[Debconf-team] travel costs to the venues [was: Sarajevo report]

* Margarita Manterola (marga@debian.org) [060705 11:03]:
> > a) The conference will be in Europe, which means cheaper flights (and
> > less money we need to spend for travell reimbursement)
>
> As far as I understand it, this is not the case for Sarajevo.
> Sarajevo is an expensive location to travel to.
>
> I might have my data messed up, but I understood that some of you paid
> almost as much as you paid to travel to Mexico to be able to go to
> Sarajevo.
>
> So, even if booking in Advance and making an effort of finding the best
> deals, I don't think the reimbursement money will be lower.

unfortunatly we could not book in advance this time and got
rather short term and expensive trickets. The prices we payed
this time were not so representative for debconf.

appart from that i talked with the flight expert in a bigger
travel agency and he did some research and thinks that flights to
sarajevo booked ahead of time will be ~125USD/150E more expensive
then those to edinburgh.

"ahead of time" in this case means ~5month for summer and less
outside the busy travel month (which are mostly summer and
holidays like christmas etc).

Then it is true that edinburgh has several budget airlines and a
whole host of regular connections, which is not the case for
sarajevo. The Sarajevo airport is less well frequented/connected.
For the numbers of people coming to debconf the capacity is more
then enough, though. we are a small event, really.