Re: [Debconf-team] Edingburgh report

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 14:58 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Alexander Schmehl <tolimar@debconf.org> writes:
> > This would be the most expensive option; it seems it is not completly
> > capable of hanlding disabled persons; some of the local team have qualms
> > about that venue ("nice for a wedding, but I'm not sure about a
> > DebConf").
>
> What problems have you see?

The RCPE is the highest-standard venue we were showing, and has by far
the most conferences/other events.  These are obviously good things in
the first instance, but they also mean that DebConf attendees are more
likely to upset them at some point during the conference, and that
they're more likely to be surprised when DebConf differs from other
conferences in its requirements (they may think they know what to expect
already).  I'd say the same thing in comparing the Hotel Terme and
student dormitory in Sarajevo as options for DebConf.

> > Second proposend venue: Edingburgh college of Art (?)
> > This is the location we could visit partly.  It is an "L" shaped
> > building; a cantina is in the larger part of the "L", hacklabs would be
> > in the small part, the area in between has some grassland, which would be
> > a nice "chill out place".  We couldn't see the conference rooms from
> > inside, but pictures show rooms of workable size.
> >
> > We didn't spoke with anyone there, just saw some rooms, which wouold be
> > nice hacklabs.  So many questions, like network and extended opening
> > hours are still open and would need to be answered by the team.
> >
> > Till the day we visited it, it was in heavy use for some art thingy, so
> > the building itself was dusty and smelled a bit like cast.
>
> What your POV about disabled people? Have you found possible problems
> there?

We couldn't see any problems.  There are lifts and ramps inside and
outside, and we saw properly-designed disabled toilets.

> > Third proposed venue: Student union building "tiviot"
> > The thirds proposed venue is "the oldes building of an student union
> > ever".  As such it is used, but has a special kind of atmosphere.
> >
> > Conference rooms in all sizes are available, as well as some bars.
> > Opening hours are limited, but local team thinks it shouldn't be a
> > problem to have them open for us as long as we like.
> >
> > Building seems to be fit for disabled persons; network would need to be
> > done by ourself.  Capacity in the cantina is limited; so people couldn't
> > eat all at the same time.
>
> Good. Any problems was noted about accesibility?

Wheelchair users get a pass to use a lift/separate entrance outside, and
to use a special lift inside the building.

--
Moray