Re: [Debconf-team] Combined conference possibilities

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:10:31PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Debconf planners,
>
> At the SPI meeting today Neil raised the possibility that Debian and
> PostgreSQL, both being members of SPI, could hold a joint conference.  I'm
> certainly warm to this idea.
>
> However, I understand that the two locations being considered are Edinburgh
> and Bosnia.   I just wanted to give you a heads-up that, based on my
> judgement, the PostgreSQL project would consider a joint conference in
> Edinburgh but not in Bosnia.   This is because both of plane fares and
> because of sponsorship opportunities.
>
> Of course, regardless of where you hold the conference, our team might vote
> not to do a combined conference.   It's a democracy.   But Neil thought
> you should know.

If this was on the cards, it might be helpful to know some details on what
would be required for a PostgreSQL conference. I guess some of the following
might help, based on previous years conferences:

  * Conference Duration
  * Number of attendees expected
  * Main countries being travelled form
      (so travel costs can possibly be calculated)
  * Venue requirements
      min room size for main conference venue
      number of rooms for talks/BoFs/etc
  * Networking requirements (wifi access for all locations?)
  * Expected budget range for venue/accom

Do you have any docs/webpages with details we could look at?

We're busily contacting people regarding venues/catering/accomidation
at present, in order to get quotes for our proposal. I don't know what views
people are going to have on having a 'joint conference' or how it would be
structured, but it would be helpful to keep this info in mind whilst making
enquiries just now in any case.