[Debconf-team] Regarding the Bosnia proposal for Debconf7

Safir, (and list)

After you left, we kept talking in the IRC channel about your
proposal. There is a concern that your offer feels somewhat in the air
- We thought you had decided on basically everything, but now thinking
about this sea resort raised quite some doubts. I was asked in the
channel to send this mail to you, so here it goes...

I suggest you to define _now_ on the definitive proposed venue. And I
also suggest you not to keep researching on Neum. Why? I'll quote a
couple of lines that were said on IRC. They were not said contiguous
(I'm not quoting a conversation - Some bits of many separate ones),
but are all regarding this proposal after you left.

(13:05:07) moray: paravoid: it makes it a bit pointless for me to
  spend the afternoon researching how people can travel to Sarajevo, if
  the proposed venue is going to change
(13:05:59) moray: paravoid: again on a personal level I was looking
  forward to a possible DebConf in Sarajevo, whereas some tourist resort
  sounds uninteresting to me
(13:08:45) alphascorpii: so far there is exactly *one* volunteer. And
  he seems to be awfully busy all the time
(13:09:41) alphascorpii: kidding aside, why don't they ever show up
  neither on the list nor in any chan?
(13:22:19) h01ger: and i'm also quite surprised (and worried) about
  saffire now proposing a completly different location. having it in a
  different country (so that _many_ people from outside europe will
  need two, not one, visas) IM_H_O completly rules the new place out
  of question. getting one visa is hard enough, esp. for people who
  cannot have two passports. i also think this (having a new idea now)
  is a sign that debconf7-bosnia is rather an idea atm, then a
  plan. (and i should repeat this, when saffire is actually here...)
(13:22:45) Ganneff: h01ger: different country is only the way to get
  there.
(13:23:24) h01ger: Ganneff, so i misunderstood him, it is in the same
  country. good.
(13:24:36) gwolf: Agree. I want to go to Bosnia, yes,
  but... Indecision and doubts make me doubt on my willingness :)
(13:24:58) moray: h01ger: I was really hoping it was just 'last minute
  doubts' from sapphire
(13:25:26) Ganneff: unfortunately yes. he killed some cards for bosnia
  :()
(13:25:44) gwolf: I'd press him to go forward with Sarajevo _and_
  _nothing_ _else_
(13:26:22) h01ger: gwolf, ack. but pressing people forward is not
  really what we want too. (because we want people to press it
  themselves).
(13:27:05) gwolf: yes - but we can make the point. Once again, looking
  at DC6 - We decided it would be Mexico (as in: Country). I didn't
  present Oaxtepec until around September IIRC
(13:27:42) moray: gwolf: the bit that worried/surprised me was that
  they've got less specific
(13:27:47) h01ger: also, even only moray and Maulkin are here, i know
  many more debian people from the uk. i dunno anybody from bosnia
  except sapphire. "even" in brazil, more people where known
  beforehand, or am i wrong on this? if this is true, sapphire should
  really get people here...
(13:27:56) moray: gwolf: I'd thought until now that the Islamic Centre
  thing was a definitely agreed deal
(13:28:36) moray: gwolf: in Edinburgh I've tried to emphasise that the
  venue is not completely definite yet, so that it doesn't look bad if
  we find something better
(13:29:23) maxx: same here and the mutli-culti-stuff was a nice point
  for bosnia
(13:29:32) hermanr_: Yes, we wanted something NOT 3rd-worldly.
(13:30:07) moray: to put it in competitive terms, it was hard to beat
  their proposed venue from the paper description: sponsored, high
  quality facilities
(13:30:09) maxx: well the now proposed place is not 3rd-wordly but
  more like a tourist-trap
(13:30:23) moray: a resort a long way from anywhere is a completely
  different proposition
(13:30:27) maxx: I prefere a city with infrastructure
(13:31:11) Ganneff: decision start of next week
(13:31:20) moray: Ganneff: right, though he suggested it might not be
  possible to get the Sarajevo venue after all?
(13:31:32) moray: 18:26 < sapphire> but it is uncertain if we will get
  it in the end, because it is a decision on behalf of the Saudi
  Arabia government...
(13:31:32) Ganneff: he suggested it may get problems, yes.
(13:31:50) Tolimar: wow, that neum town has 4'500 inhabitant
  (according to wikipedia).
(13:33:48) gwolf: But I think we should tell him _now_ that Neum is
  not a choice.
(13:34:05) Ganneff: gwolf: do you mail him? or should i? or?
(13:34:06) hermanr_: He needs a l33t local team to make a town of 4500
  souls a suitable location for Debconf!
(13:37:14) ***h01ger now thinks moving the deciscion-meeting a week
  later is/might really a good idea. because sapphire should also come
  up with other suited places except that saudi venue. and before he
  thought about this, we almost  dont need to visit sarajevo atm as
  well (except for fun and meeting sapphire) - IMHO
(13:53:16) ***moray just popped out and got a guidebook on Bosnia
  (advantage of being in a city ;)
(13:54:39) moray: uh, apparently the main road to Neum goes through
  Croatia
(13:55:56) moray: 'Neum is a holiday resort town.  There is not much
  on the cultural "to do" list, but there is plenty of fun and sun to
  be had.'
(13:56:16) moray: the hotels sound similar to Oaxtepec, self-contained
  complexes

In short: Neum might be beautiful... But we don't need beautiful. We
need well connected, easy to get stuff, easy to get from outside the
country, predictable, with people. We don't want a small beautiful
place.

So, Safir: Please work on the Sarajevo proposal. AFAICT, the meeting
(scheduled for next Monday) will be postponed - but please, bring some
certainty to our souls.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23