Re: [Debconf-team] Re: kosher discrimination at debconf

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 09:46:22AM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
Ted Walther dijo [Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 06:33:47PM -0700]:
Eating clean meat is important for the health of the conference
attendees.  I think you would be better able to make decisions about
the food if you would talk to the hotels kitchen.  Any cook worth his
salt will be able to tell you what type of meat he is using, and will
know where to get appropriate type of meat.

While my wife and I are in contact with the Oaxtepec administration and
we have their proposed menus for every day, we cannot dig too much into
this. We have not talked with the hotel cooks, and it would not be
trivial to do so without travelling over 1.5hr to the hotel. It's more
than what we are able to offer.

Can you give a bit more detail?  Does the hotel not have a switchboard
facility to route calls to the kitchen?  Is the hotel contracting the
food preparation out to another organization?  Is the problem that the
cook doesn't have a telephone, or that we don't have his telephone
number?

I am sorry, this cannot be done. I have talked to them, and they are
able to provide you with vegetarian (including milk/cheese/egg) or
vegan food. Yes, this is a government-owned hotel in a small town in a
third world country

Vegetarian food often includes soy products, seaweed and mushrooms,
which are not kosher.  Separating those things from a typical vegan dish
is quite difficult and time-consuming.  The vegan menu isn't really a
good option.  Oh, and I always considered Mexico a second world country.

But then again, where else do you think we would be able to find a
hotel where each room costs on average US$10 per night per person, has
such nice open spaces and can host us all?  If you find it, well,
propose it for DebConf8! (Ouch! Marcela, stop, don't hit me! Yes, you
want Argentina, OUCH!)

Ethiopia could be an excellent place for DebConf8.  I'll talk to my
contacts.

Ted

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973