Re: [Debconf-team] Travel Sponsorship Draft

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 06:27:10PM +0100, Amaya wrote:
> Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > 17:58:47 <stockholm> please read http://wiki.debian.org/DebConf6TravelSponsorship
>
> It looks like we are short on budget.
> Maybe we can remove the formal dinner DPL talk, and have that time slot
> for rent, and move Mark's talk there and make Canonical pay more
> sponsorship? Something similar happened in Toronto.

yes, we dont have all the money yet. i hope that changes and i
work on it.

there are some points that make me hopefull that we will do fine,
anyway:
- we have only ~200 peopole who request sponsored accommodation
  currently. quite a few will drop out at reconfirmation time
  and more will register until then, not sure which effect will
  be greater. but chances are that we wont have 300
  eating/sleeping sponsorees, which will save us money.
- several big sponsors promised money but did not name an amount
  yet

The problem is that i do not want to overcommit. just very
recently i heared stories from free software conferences where
sponsors did not pay and which were br0ke. I would prefere to do
a less pompous debconf this year and next year instead of the
alternative.

i have not started to ask all the small sponsors we had last
year, since they wont be able to compensare by far for a big
sponsor and i like to go after the low hanging fruits first.
canonical is in this category.

i will run some "experiments" on the spreadsheet to see how we do
with less people coming.