Re: [Debconf-team] New www.debconf.org layout

On 10697 March 1977, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

Hi Agnieszka, Lennart, Armin, Ayo and Valessio. I took the liberty of CCing
this mail to you as you have done artwork/design for Debian or DebConf
in the past, which makes you far more qualified to talk about these
things than either I or many other from the DebConf organizers team are. I
would like to hear your opinions on the points raised in this mail (and
possible followups). Thanks.

[This mail has some recipients in CC, as not all of them may read
our lists. If you reply please follow Reply-To/Mail-Followup-To headers
and send the reply to debconf-website@lists.debconf.org, thanks.
Also - I may have forgotten any number of people who can provide input on
this topic - feel free to forward the mail and invite them to the
discussion.]

To get to the point of this mail: we are in need of a new DebConf site
for DC7[1]. The whole story of this can be found behind [2]; a short
summary is

- we want to have www as a seperate site, a central information point
  about DebConf. This should answer questions such as "What is DebConf",
  where to find information about X, whom to contact for Y, and so
  on. The possible content I listed in my initial mail was never really
  disputed, so that should be fine.

- we also need a web site concept/design for the upcoming DC7.

As demonstrated by prior discussion on- and off-list, we all agree that
a portal-like main page for www.debconf.org is necessary.  Opinions
differ on how it should be done, and what effects this may have on future
DebConf sites.

Some of the points raised are listed below. These are also the ones on
which we need more qualified input (Agnieszka, Lennart, Armin, Ayo and
Valessio, that's where we need your help):

- How does a design for a portal-like www.debconf.org affect future
  sites for specific DebConfs if that the design includes not only the page
  look itself but also a logo for DebConf?

- How are sites affected if the design stays as neutral as
  possible, i.e. without a special logo (maybe only using the Swirl as it's
  about Debian anyway)?

So, what next? We have a temporary site for DebConf7, so we have
some time (not forever of course). I would propose to gather opinions
about the points raised above and then base the subsequent work on the
website on that input.

[1] A temporary one will get in place today/tomorrow, simply stating
    where it will be and when its most likely to happen.

[2] http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20060626.203717.79607b3b.en.html

--
bye Joerg
[Talking about Social Contract]: